Saturday, August 18, 2012

As Days Shorten



With shadows growing and the summer days growing shorter, my heart grows sadder. The loss is felt already as the sun shifts behind the trees where there was no passage just a month before.

I think back to childhood as we would start to prepare ourselves for going back to school. The nights seemed eternal as we would beg to stay up late…”but it’s not dark out yet”! Just how late could we stay up in summertime?  Let’s find out! In the month of August as days grew shorter, we felt cheated at the lack of light each night. “But it’s not dark out yet” lost some of its punch as the night sky crowded our day. It was a quiet loss. It gently snuck up on you. Perhaps it was to force our attentions on other things. Perhaps the seriousness of school pending? Better yet, the appreciation of the summer play left in the time allotted till Labor Day weekend. Either way, the memories return in my life today.



I love the freedom of summer. I’m sorry to see it leave so soon. I know, I know, it’s not over yet. I can grab that ‘summer-to-do-list’ and check off a few more items in a mad dash or just sit back and enjoy what comes my way. For the moment, I’m enjoying each sunrise and sunset. Let’s see what delightful events happen in between!

Enjoy!

Cathy

No comments: