Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rerun, Rerun, Rerun



So often in the summer months we see reruns of shows and movies on TV. While having my cup of tea this morning, I turned on the TV only to see one of my favorite stories in a movie. Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol” was on and I sat mesmerized yet again. It’s funny, but even though we know the ending, it’s a story that holds our attention again and again.



The bottom line in this story is simple. Ebenezer Scrooge got a credible ‘sign and warning’ from Jacob Marley for what was to come. He also got three chances:
      1.     to learn from the past
      2.     to review and assess the present
      3.     and an opportunity to create change for the future

To quote:
Jacob Marley: In life, my spirit never rose beyond the limits of our money-changing holes! Now I am doomed to wander without rest or peace, incessant torture and remorse! 
Ebenezer: But it was only that you were a good man of business, Jacob! 
Jacob Marley: BUSINESS? Mankind was my business! Their common welfare was my business! And it is at this time of the rolling year that I suffer most! 

The miraculous part of the story and movie is that it only took a moment for Scrooge to determine his future. A single moment, a decision to create change affected not just his life but that of his fellow man. In just twenty four hours there was a 360 degree turn-around. What a difference a day makes!

And that’s it. Do we want to keep seeing ‘reruns’ in our life or make a change? Charles Dickens certainly knows how to tell it like it is. The rest is up to us. Change…it’s a good thing and every day can be Christmas!

Cathy

No comments: