Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Question To Ponder


The other day I met a little boy. With December in full swing, I expected him to talk to me of snow, Christmas and other holiday topics. He looked me straight in the eye and said…”Do you have food in your refrigerator?” It literally took my breath away. I
paused, although I was trying not to pause or look upset by his question. I simply responded, “Yes.” He asked no more questions and neither did I.

Coincidentally, I was on the Internet soon after and came across an article about world hunger. As I read, I found the statistics startling.
·        Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger
·        20,864: the number of people who have died today
·        2,073,588: people in this world will die from hunger this year
·        15 million children will die from hunger this year

36 million in the USA experience hunger including 13 million children annually.
The current USA population is 312, 000,000 people; third in the world behind China & India.

“If you can’t feed a hundred people, feed just one.” 
 Mother Teresa

This holiday season, please make an effort to donate to ease the pain of hunger. Most supermarkets have a bin for food donation to supply a local food pantry. Most communities and many churches have a food pantry. With statistics like these, every effort matters. 


Cathy












No comments: