Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Irene Moments



I hope you are all doing well today. Our neighborhood, and possibly half the town, is still without power. The weather is great, the sun is shining, storm damage is minimal… but no power. The large, downed limb in our yard made a big crease in the hedge, but it will survive.

I just checked my email. It seems there was an eye-witness account of cows escaping and taking a jaunt down Bay Rd. Good for them! Just another “Irene” moment.

As I ventured out checking for stores to see what’s open, I headed to McDonald’s with laptop in hand. Eureka…power, food and free WiFi. God id good! As I enter I see WiFi central. Every poor soul with hopes of getting help after the storm is there with laptops, cell phones and a cup of coffee. God Bless McDonald’s for letting these people charge their equipment. People were looking for generators and such. “Can we meet, there’s no power, you can’t call, I’ll meet you, etc…” My email check was suddenly not so important.

It seems we have fared well. Water damage seems to be the worst culprit in Irene and our immediate area didn’t get too much rain. A local market managed to open without power to sell ice. The larger grocery stores seem to be OK.

Saw a utility truck man knocking on a neighbor’s door. I ran over and said they weren’t home. “Do you know if they are without power” he asked. “Yes the whole neighborhood has none” I said. “Really?” he said. “Why didn’t you call & report it too?” he said to me. “The phones don’t work without power” I replied. He said nothing & drove away. This repair may take a while!?

How did you do? Will let you know when power is up & running.

Cathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jUST REMEMBER THAT GEORGE WASHINGTON GREW UP WITHOUT ELECTRICITY, GAS, WATER SERVICE, OR FLUSH TOILETS. AaND LOOK HOW WELL HE TURNED OUT. --Anne