Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Pitch Pipe

If I had to choose a single item that reminds me of St. Mary School it would be the pitch pipe. There was always one on hand for our music lessons and singing of hymns. Every nun had one…. basic class equipment.

Each year there was always a different level of instruction in music. In the early grades it may have been a simple song, even a little march to sing inside on a rainy day to liven things up. As we progressed in our music we graduated to our beginner “recorder” aka “Flutophone”. In the latter years we participated in the church choir. All music lessons began with the pitch pipe.

We had at least four years of Gregorian chant, four lines to the staff with square notes. From here we graduated to contemporary music with a five-lined staff and round notes. The only other thing I remember is the line & spaces mnemonics: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge & F A C E. Regardless of the music style, there was the pitch pipe.

There was a level of anticipation in the playing of the pitch pipe. It signaled that you were ready in all ways to begin singing as a group. All the antsy-pantsy twitching had to settle down. Heads must be up for proper breath work, mouths in a perfect round ‘O’ as a cherub & all eyes on the teacher. When we were all ready, only then was the pitch pipe played. I don’t think of it as being as strict as the whistle blowing of Baron Von Trapp in the Sound of Music, but maybe not too far off either. After all, as the saying goes, singing is praying twice. This was serious stuff!

Perhaps if I had a musical background I would have come across a pitch pipe often. But, this is not the case. So, I choose the pitch pipe as my single most memory. To help you with your musical flashbacks, I have chosen a Gregorian chant to stir your memories. Enjoy.


Cathy



1 comment:

Anne Ladd said...

I loved the Gregorian chant page with all of its links. In 8th grade we all had to sing a Sunday Mass once a month, but I didn't mind. The music teacher was the 7th-grade teacher and I think she was good. --Anne