Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween 1963


In my SMF days we usually made our own costumes ourselves. We went through the closets, bureaus, and sewing kits for buttons, bows and the like about a week before Halloween. Snippets of anything were a potential costume. White, brown and black shoe polish could come in handy. Now, into the medicine cabinet and vanity for make-up that could be spared: red lipstick for blood, blue eye shadow for glamour, green for gory stuff. Old dresses, hats and shoes presented other possibilities.

This year I became a gypsy; an old dress, a petticoat, some draped fabric, a bejeweled turban on the head with a feather! Stunning for sure!

My brother was to go as Casper. I was not about to settle for just another ghost costume with a sheet over the head and two eye slits. No-siree-Bob. This would be a custom costume with a fitted Casper head helmet. Included was a fitted white costume with feet and legs like Casper.

“Come over here. I need to make the eyeholes.”

Down went the fitted helmet head. Eye placement was traced onto the fabric.

“I can’t breathe.”

“OK, you can get a nose too!”

This was the first year I could walk about the neighborhood trick-or-treating, just me and my brother, no parents. With bags of loot in tow, we artfully maneuvered the neighborhood.

We circled one block then the next. We arrived at our final destination…the convent. We line up at the steps and wait our turn behind the other hobgoblins and costumed kids. As we approach the front door of the convent, we see a line of nuns across the foyer with smiles as they try to place the masked faces with the names of their students. At the front door is a nun I don’t know, perhaps the cook? She is handing out home-made candies on a platter.

“Trick-or-treat.”

It was such a unique moment, we didn’t know if we should genuflect or not, what being on hallowed ground and all!

“Thank you, Sisters!”

We run down the stairs and headed home.

“I can’t breathe” says my brother.

“OK, you can take the helmet off now.”

“Thanks!” He said while gasping for air.

The next day we were back at school, still on our sugar high. As the nuns looked around the room there were freshly scrubbed faces about the classroom. In the cracks and crevices of our smiles were the remnants of color from the night before….white, red, blue and green. I’m sure the nuns were still smiling inside.

Happy Halloween

Cathy

1 comment:

Anne Ladd said...

I LOVE Halloween. I turn on the light as soon as it gets dark, because that's when the little bitties come, all costumed and with their parents. I turn off the light about 7 p.m when the screaming preteens come, more interested in spraying each other with saving cream than getting treats. I remember as a little child going trick-or-treating with others, without my parents. The older ladies offered home-made treats; where they were good, we went back a few times. No worries about poisoned treats or lurking perverts.