Thursday, October 20, 2011

There Are Limits!


While it’s raining outside, I’m reviewing in my mind some sunny day events. The one that sticks out in my mind is a day with my grandson. He wanted to take a picture of me and I let him. It’s deleted… no photo for you!

 Upon reviewing the pics of the day I realized I was wearing more than one pair of sunglasses. I had taken his sunglasses & placed them on my forehead above my sunglasses on my nose. I then realized that I had my magnifiers hanging from my neck…needed for the small icons on my camera. THREE pairs of glasses in one photo! Lovely! Maybe this can be a new fashion trend. I’ll call Vogue immediately!

I then thought “How many pairs of glasses can a woman wear and still be fashionable?” I decided the correct answer is six. Seven would be gauche, unless there were extenuating circumstances yet to be determined. My reasoning is thus: one pair of sunglasses on your nose. If you need prescription glasses, you may have one pair with the flip-up sunglass shade over them. This counts as two pair. If you have prescription sunglasses, you are allowed the first pair to be worn as a headband and the RX sunglasses on your nose. This is still only two pair.

The third pair of glasses can be worn around the neck on a decorative strand. This is usually an emergency magnifying pair just in case you forget (or lose) the aforementioned glasses. Having personally misplaced my magnifiers on occasion, I allow for a second pair to be tucked into the neckline of my blouse. This is now the fourth pair. Knowing that it is a good thing to have a spare pair of sunglasses, there is an allowance for a pair sharing the neckline of the blouse with the magnifiers. This is pair five. If you are wearing a man-tailored shirt with a pocket, a fashionable spare pair of glasses may be added here.  This makes six pairs. If you are wearing a shirt with two pockets, I feel that it is too much to have both pockets filled with glasses. This is what borders on the ‘gauche’ side of fashionable eyewear adornment. I feel this pocket is best filled with the other important accessories of life such as debit cards, cell phones and such. We wouldn’t want to stifle our daily routine.

The seventh and sometimes ‘gauche’ pair under extenuating circumstances may be your ‘all-time-favorite-comfortable-pair-of-glasses-that-don’t-squeeze-your-head-too-tight-pair-of-glasses’ as worn as a headband for hairstyling. You will be aware of this when you remove all others at bedtime, go to bed, roll over and realize you are still wearing this pair! You fashion plate, you!

Cathy

No comments: