Friday, November 18, 2011

Kiss the Noise Good-Bye!



Maybe it’s just me, but I am looking forward to the packing up of the leaf blowers. They hurt my ears.  I prefer the quiet and solitude of nature. Summertime landscaping may make the yards beautiful but can take its toll on the ears especially during the fall leaf clean-up. Out come the lawnmowers, then the weed whackers, lawn edgers, hedge trimmers, mulchers and last but not least, the leaf blowers to clean up every leaf and particle of dust in sight. Technically speaking, they do NOT pick up leaves and dust; they merely blow them about till they cross over to the neighboring property. Occasionally you can notice a landscaper look about to see if anyone sees him going too close to the property line of the neighbor, as he moves about in stealth with the noisiest apparatus since a 747!

Each year I laugh at the silliness of chasing every leaf on the ground while the wind laughs right back with one more leaf falling….preferably from a neighbor’s yard! There’s a delightful futility to watching people try to control Mother Nature!  I love to garden, even weed. There’s a cycle of life to participate in. With a little TLC, water and effort you are on top of things.  But I don’t obsess. Nature has its own agenda.

My sister-in-law has a beautiful garden every year.
“What’s your secret?” I asked
“There’s no secret. It’s not magic. It’s not rocket science. It’s hard work. You must do it every day. You just commit to doing it.” She said.
You should see her garden! Each year a different color scheme! Sweeeeet!
“But the blooms on the flowers!” I said.
“Oh, that…I use twice the fertilizer!...and well water. Weed daily.” She said.

But, as the fall comes, she cleans, she rakes and she plans and prepares for the next year. In doing so there is no obsession with the leaves falling and where they will land for there is still time to watch each petal drop with its glorious splendor of color, one petal at a time, dotting the earth.  As the colors fade they are absorbed back to Mother Nature in their own way. As the winds blow, the leaves blowing from one yard to another create another color harmony swirling overhead. Try and create THAT with a leaf blower!

Now don’t get me started about street sweepers!

Cathy

1 comment:

Anne Ladd said...

YES ... environmentalists say we must all learn to love leaves. My property is at the bottom of a wind tunnel, so eventually all my leaves blow uphill. I still do a little raking just to appease the neighbors. --Anned