Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor


There are not many veterans around today to tell the tale of Pearl Harbor. Today is the 70th anniversary of its attack. My father was a Pearl Harbor survivor. We heard the tales growing up; sometimes over and over again. When “All in the Family” became a hit, I remember watching Archie & Mike (aka Meathead) with their opposing political opinions flying across the dinner table, as Archie Bunker reminisced about ‘W W 2, the big one!’ Sometimes it felt like home! It amazed me that someone had the exact same discussions in their house. Maybe even more since it was now on TV in front of the whole world.

It is fitting that we honor Pearl Harbor veterans today as all veterans from all wars as well as their families, friends and countryman back home who support the military. For they, as we, have fought many a great fight for the truths we hold dear as a country. It is my personal belief that we have fought the fight for the ultimate goal of peace and to uphold our values of all personal freedoms.

For this I thank all who have gone before and those continuing to serve, for I know first-hand of their personal sacrifices through my father’s stories as well as my son’s today.

May peace reign throughout the world….soon. For 'tis the season..."Peace on Earth, goodwill to all men."

Cathy

No comments: