Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buttercups



Yesterday, as the day gave us a reprieve from the needed rain, I did manage a walkabout with the dog. Much of the blooms along the way were saturated in the deeper colors of a rainy day. When we came to our favorite field, I noticed that the vast yellow blanket of last week’s dandelions was already changed to the fluff of their seed. With a huff and a puff the wishes were made and ascending into the air. The purple groundcover at the corner of the field had lost its luster and was a near faded memory. In the distance was a glow of yellow. As we walked through the damp grass, the lowly buttercup made its appearance. Five perfect petals framed its face. Looking up, as if to bravely catch the raindrops with a smile, it defied all odds.



Memories of childhood with a buttercup under the chin made me smile. “You love butter and somebody loves you” came to mind. I didn’t have to go that far back in my mind as I have done the same recently with my grandson. A little golden glow under the chin and a dusting of pollen is proof positive of love in the moment.

   
Between the approaching raindrops I gathered them up…a treasure of gold in a single hand’s grasp. A place of honor is bestowed upon them in crystal with water…tangible sunshine to brighten the room. We can love all the glories of the flora and fauna kingdoms but we will always admire the simplicity of a single bloom that can bring a smile to the face of young and old alike. They are a simple reminder that you are loved.



Cathy


No comments: