Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Million Wishes




What can be more wonderful than a wish in the making? It is reported that a genie grants three wishes. What can be more wonderful than three wishes in the making?

With the abundance of dandelions gone to fluff, what better way to spend them than to send them out with a wish. If you make a single wish on a single bit of fluff, then you can allow the other bits to be cast off into the wind anonymously to find the future owners of each potential wish.

This past week, my grandson and I met a nice young man of approximately six years of age at the playground. The two of them played tag and frozen statues until suppertime called us home. As we prepared to leave, they proceeded to pluck all the dandelions from the ground, make wishes and blow till all the fluff was airborne. I didn’t suggest this to them. It seemed to be instinctive.

“One last wish and off we go” I said.
This new friend said “I have made enough wishes for myself. I will now make a wish for you” as he looked at my grandson. “I wish you a plentiful college fund.”

I’m not sure I’ve heard of a more genuine and generous wish from a child. I looked over at his mother and said “That’s quite the boy you’ve got there!” I could only pick a dandelion, make a wish of “Ditto” for him, and send the wish upwards to the ears of heaven.

That day, more than one handful of dandelions was picked and about a million wishes were made as the three of us scattered them with a wave. I like to think that they floated above those in need of a wish and that they were all granted. As good fortune’s tales are told in the future, I will continue to think of that day and of wishes fulfilled.

A million wishes to you.

Cathy



No comments: