Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It’s Raining Bagels



This may sound farfetched, but it’s as true as can be. As I was outside today, I caught a glimpse of something whitish dropping from the tree. Thud. THUD?!!! What could that be?

I sit under the cedar tree often and am used to the falling of the blue berries. The squirrels dangle off the limbs and chomp away at them. As they gnaw at the branches the clusters of berries tumble down. This I understand. I take a gander at the thud location and find a bagel. Bagel you ask? That’s right, a bagel. I stare and ponder awhile, not too long a while, and say “you clever little squirrel, you!”

I do admire them so. While some will curse the clever little critters for downing too much bird seed, it only gives me greater cause to go out and buy more seed. After all, why stop at feeding only the birds? Birds are beautiful in all ways, but squirrels will give you a days’ worth of entertainment in a short amount of time. I like that. The squirrel ballet atop the trees as they find the best approach to a food source is quite amazing and amusing…from top of tree, leap to branch, jump down to a roof, across to the trash barrels, open the barrels, inspect, inspection complete, over the lawn, up a tree truck, a flying leap to the bird feeder, with discriminating taste to select only the sunflower seeds. WOW!!! This example of their prowess could take place in only a couple of minutes. I’d like to see Mary Lou Retton do that! Well, if anyone could, it would be her.

I’m sure the tenacity of the squirrel is capable of dragging a bagel up a tree. Last winter I was looking out the window viewing a different tree and spied a UFO (unidentified food object) in the tree. After a minute of squinting I surmised it to be half an English muffin laying on the branch. I kid you not. The squirrels in my yard have a hefty appetite. This could be due to a shortage of oak trees with no shortage of pines. Thank heaven for the pine cones in lieu of acorns! The pines do have the squirrels’ nests so they can hunker down for the winter. They may have a nice place for the summer too! If I was as ambitious as a squirrel I might just take a look up the tree; but alas, I am not.

Just for fun, this leads me to imagine a squirrel’s resume.
  • ·        Athletic (able to leap tall buildings in a single bound)
  • ·        Clever (good problem solver)
  • ·        Gourmet (discriminating tastes)
  • ·        A people person (plays well with others)
  • ·        Assertive (problem solver)
  • ·        Good sense of humor (I like to make people laugh)
  • ·        Upper management potential (I aim high)
  • ·        Well-seasoned (I don’t complain about the weather)
  • ·        Punctual (I don’t miss a day’s work, absenteeism is never a problem)
  • ·        Tree hugger (I believe in animal rights; Is Earth Day a legal holiday?)
  • ·        Worldly (I’ve been around the block ; I have relatives everywhere)
  • ·        Conservationist ( hunter gatherer)
  • ·        CNA (Certified Nut Authority; Currently employed as hunter gatherer first class; nuts a specialty)
  • ·        Visionary (Some call me a hoarder, but I disagree, I’m prepared for the future!)
  • ·        Benefits (You’ll just love me, I guarantee! All else is a perk!)
  • ·        Quirky (a little nutty)



A little nutty…just like me!

Cathy

No comments: