Monday, June 27, 2011

The Emerald Necklace

 I had the good fortune of going into Boston the other day. It was a perfect day: blue sky surrounded by the greenest trees ever. The best part was the fact that I wasn’t driving. It allowed me to appreciate the view. It’s been a while since I was in there as a tourist without the rat race of traffic jams.

I past all the ole stompin’ grounds: where my parents lived, where I was born, where I went to college…and so much more. The funny thing is that it almost felt like I was seeing it for the first time. The trees were taller, the buildings renewed, smiles on the faces of the passersby. There was a ‘glow’ to the city. As we drove through the different neighborhoods we couldn’t help but notice all the flowers & shrubs in full bloom. Such attention to the details of the window boxes, gingerbread on the homes, and the beautiful mowed lawns gave me a fresh view of the city. The parks were also well manicured for the next game to be played. Everything was at its finest.

I felt a sense of renewal. Along the Jamaica Park, Arborway, The Back Bay Fens, past the museums, it was like a homecoming. I remember my outdoor landscape painting classes along the Riverway. Perhaps it was a perfect moment in time, the perfect weather…not too hot, not too cold…it was just right! Maybe my opinion would beg to differ on a winter day, but not that day. It was perfect in all ways.

The ‘Emerald Necklace’ of Boston is truly our jewel: the string of parks & gardens through the city.  The concerts, tours, flower gardens, museums, bike & foot paths, all gifts from our forefathers who had the forethought to provide places of beauty & cultural interest to its people. Their legacy continues.

You really ought to get out to see it. If time is tight, as it is for most of us, you should take a gander at the following websites. Enjoy.






Cathy


PS…If you do go in to the city, let someone else drive!


http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/


No comments: