Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mot Juste


In preparing to write for the next blog, it dawns on me that the process alone that brought me to this was worth writing about in itself.

The process of creating a blog was very interesting. With little computer training but a ‘go for it spirit’, I start. Keep in mind this is a communal blog; the requests of all SMFairies are considered.

Name, password, email contact, choice of blog host, design, color, format, set-up, pages, pictures, gadgets, (What’s a gadget?) (Oh, that’s what you call them!), and the list goes on & on. My blog inspiration has come from the only two blog sites I know; the one from Julie & Julia & a friends’ blog. That’s it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Here goes it.

At this point the least of my concerns is what to write. The small amount of anxiety for this was placed on a back burner.

About three days later the blog design is in place. SMFs, vote now if you don’t like the design. I don’t know that it can be reversed…and still don’t know. Back burner again. Forward we go.

Now, without formal writing experience, I am faced with getting something on the page. If for no other reason, just to test the ‘posting’ on the blog. Start with our purpose, what brought us to the blog collectively: mission statement. YES!!!  What’s next?

How many of us have been thrown into a new situation? Actually, everyone I know: illness of family, layoffs, moving, new jobs, etc.  How we handle ourselves with the quality of our interactions is where our lessons in life are learned. Now this blog certainly doesn’t have the drama of life’s more serious notes, but it can throw you out of your comfort zone. Example: WHAT WILL I WRITE NEXT?!!!

(Silent panic!) (Writers block!)

After quietly asking yourself if you need to have your head examined for taking on another project, you pause, regroup, breathe and then a miracle…a new idea presents itself. This is exactly how this story came to be.

Buddha says: “When a student is ready, the master appears”. Sometimes the ‘master’ shows up as a challenge. In this case a new tool of cyberspace. (Don’t expect a guy in long robes with a baldhead. Think outside the box there too.)

My challenge was to learn creative writing. “ Mot juste” is French for the right word at the right (write J!) time. Just as the master appears, so did my words. I am delighted with this creative writing process on a personal note. I highly recommend it. If you asked me to define myself, the word would be ‘artist’. (artiste in French!) My life has been filled with colors, fabrics, brushes, pencils & paints. Today I paint with words.

Two weeks ago I couldn’t blog. Today I can’t stop!

Make a commitment to try something new today.

Cathy


PS: Kudos to Anne L. for teaching me the meaning of ‘mot juste’.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Originally I wanted the moniker "nom de plume", but my internet provider at the time only allowed eight characters. --Anne

Donna said...

welcome to blog world it can be time CONSUMING!!!! It will consume your time and you will be amazed at what appears. We will always be learning and welcome back to first grade in blogland!