Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The one that got away

Have you ever been somewhere & wished you had a camera for that perfect picture? I think we all have.  Small regrets. The important thing to remember is that just ‘being’ there is the greatest treasure. Just the same, isn’t it nice to ‘document’ a moment in time?

In saying this, the first mental image is ‘the one that got away’ with hands held wide suggesting the size of the fish that jumped off the hook! The audience of friends & family are all nodding their heads in unison with a ‘Yeah, right! Sure you did!’

‘No really, you should have been there!’

Well, this is what I did to myself just this week. I had the good fortune to see one of the most spectacular sunsets ever. Did I have my cell phone/camera on me to take a pic? NO! Silly me. I did have the good sense to stand there & watch for about fifteen minutes and be a part of it. During the following day I was still mentally kicking myself in the butt for the one time I didn’t have the cell phone/camera on me….but the memories are clear….at least for the time being. Some day the memory may get cloudy. Maybe that’s why we want the pictures today…for the future. In the meantime, tell the story. We will share them and piece them back together if need be…. as a group, as a family.

So…I dedicate this blog to the ones that got away….to honor the moment instead of the picture. Here’s to being there.

Cathy


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know those Llamas!!! Love all three of them....well only know them from riding by for years!