Saturday, June 18, 2011

Perspective

We begin as a wide-eyed 1st grader. Can you remember walking into grade one on the 1st day? The classroom seemed so large.

The desks were strange compared to coloring at the kitchen table at home. The tops had inkwells with some leftover ink. Yuk! Blackboards surrounded us on 2 sides. The ‘press’ (coat-closet) was to the back across the room with a supply closet. Above the blackboards was the alphabet in cursive…no printing for us. Embellishing the alphabet was seasonal artwork; eg: autumn leaves, snowflakes, etc. It was always colorful & usually handmade. Seasonal feast days were displayed to the side of the front blackboard. Centered over the front blackboard was a crucifix. A clock was over the door. Always in the front corner was a statue of our Blessed Mother Mary to watch over us all day long.

Included in the first day were a lot of new friends. Our first grade class had 52 students. You heard me right…52!!!  That is unheard of now. For all I know, there may never have been another class so large, ever! Overlooking the 52 angels-in-waiting was Sr. Mary Theona. That’s right too…only one teacher; no aids or assistants. Back then nuns seemed to operate with the grace of the Holy Spirit in perfect balance with the fear of the Lord. Add to that the mysterious quality of being a nun in the first place and you knew your place.

Speaking of place, everywhere we went, we went single file according to height. For eight years I alternated being 1st, 2nd or 3rd in line. I do feel the tallest girls at the end of the line had the best perspective there. They saw all that was going on. Being on the short end of the stick, we did have the luxury of bowing slightly lower to not be observed at all should the occasion arise.

Usually we sat in rows by height also; shortest to the front, tallest to the back. So, as usual I sat in the first row. I’ll never forget my perspective of the tall veiled nun looming over my desk as she passed by. I doubt I had my mouth open in awe, but it felt that way in my mind. What a view! She was SO TALL as I sat at my little desk, hands folded.

Eight years later at graduation we had the alumni of both students & teachers joining in our pomp & circumstance. We filled the school hall. As we were being introduced to all who came to celebrate, I was called over to be reunited with my first grade teacher. I doubt I had my mouth open in awe, but it felt that way in my mind. What a view! She was one of the tiniest people I had ever met! As I looked about through the crowd, I believe she was the shortest adult present. For the first time in my elementary school life I felt like one of the tallest in line! It’s all a matter of perspective.

Cathy

1 comment:

Donna said...

Cathy you have such fabulous memories that when written here spark our own. Thank you for the tour of the room! I lovd that. I personally do not remember the first day of school but I do remember with vivid sense the day we took our entrance exams. Thanks again for such beautiful writing and wonderful stories!